Finally. Ibrahim al-Hammadi and his companions released after 8 years of unjust detention for attempted assassination of Saleh

Finally. Ibrahim al-Hammadi and his companions released after 8 years of unjust detention for attempted assassination of Saleh

Late Thursday evening, Houthi militias released a number of activists of the 2011 popular youth revolution after eight years of detention as part of a prisoner exchange deal between government forces and militias.

The militias released the activists Ibrahim al-Hammadi, Shoaib al-Ba'jari, Abdullah al-Ta’ami, Ghaleb al-Ezeri and Mohammed Ali Omar, among a group of activists who were arrested by the Regime of Ali Abdullah Saleh on charges of attempting to assassinate the president in the famous Al-Nahdin Mosque bombing.

The exchange involved other unidentified prisoners, the sources said, adding that the operation involved 20 prisoners and abductees.

The five youths were arrested in 2011 during a campaign of arrests launched by Saleh's regime following the presidential attack, at which time more than 100 people were arrested, but then all were released and only five remained.

Ibrahim al-Hammadi, a detainee, said in subsequent statements that he was arrested on Monday, 18 July 2011, from his brother's house in the Area of Al-Sunainah, where he was on a family visit.

He adds that he was placed in a solitary cell in a national security prison for six months, where he was subjected to various types of torture, after which he moved to political security and where he met with the group accused of the presidential palace incident for the first time.

He said that for a month and a half of the investigation he was asked about the demonstration Square, which was home to protesters demanding the overthrow of Saleh's regime, what was going on and who was running it, and was not charged in connection with the presidential incident until a month and a half later.

On 24 December 2012, the defendants, about 30 prisoners and a woman, were transferred to the central prison in Sana'a, many of whom were released and the remaining five.

The former lawyer for the five detainees, Abdul Rahman Barman, said that there is no evidence in the case file to convict them of any crime, explaining that they were subjected to enforced disappearance for more than eight months and continued to be in the prosecution for more than two years.  They have no evidence to keep them without release or trial."

In a surprising irony, the Houthi group continued to detain the five activists, although they killed former President Ali Saleh in December 2017 in battles between them in the capital, Sanaa.


Print Send