UN: al-Houthi withdrawal from Hodeidah ports according to plans and government committed to implementation

UN: al-Houthi withdrawal from Hodeidah ports according to plans and government committed to implementation


The withdrawal of Houthi militants from the port of Hodeidah (western Yemen) has proceeded according to plans, the United Nations announced Sunday.

The head of the UN Redeployment Coordination Committee, Danish General Michael Lolisgaard, said in a statement distributed to the media that the first day of the redeployment of the Houthis forces had been carried out in accordance with the plans, and that the three ports had been simultaneously monitored (Al-Saleef, Ras Issa, and Hodeidah) from United Nations teams were accepted when military forces were discharged from the ports and the "Coast Guard" assumed responsibility for security.

According to the Lolisgaard statement, activities in the coming days are expected to focus on the removal of armed manifestations and demining, and he confirmed that the United Nations will carry out the official verification of the first phase of the redeployment operation on Tuesday.

The Yemeni government has expressed its readiness to implement its part of the first phase at the request of the United Nations, Lolisgaard said.

On Saturday, Houthi militants announced the start of the pull-out from the Sallef, Ras Issa and Al-Hodeidah ports and handed over their security responsibility to their Coast guard, which seemed to the followers to be a mere charade similar to what the Houthis did in late December last year following the Stockholm consultations and was rejected by the former Chairman of the Coordination Committee, who had left his mission quickly.


Share


Print Send