Incident Assessment Team announces results of investigation into the bombing of the oil station and Beit al-Faqih market

Incident Assessment Team announces results of investigation into the bombing of the oil station and Beit al-Faqih market


The joint incident assessment team in Yemen announced on Wednesday evening the results of the investigation into a number of incidents referred to it by the Arab coalition Forces, which were carried out at various times last year and ongoing.

On the bombing of a house in the capital Sana'a, advisor Mansour al-Mansour, spokesperson for the Yemen Accident assessment team, told a press conference in Riyadh that the military operation is undergoing thorough review and operational scrutiny and the results will be announced soon, stressing that the joint incident assessment team Committed to transparency and neutrality.

Boat bombing incident on Badi island

The spokesman for the joint team explained that the bombing of a boat by the Arabian Alliance on Badi Island came after verifying the presence of a gathering of al-Houthi militia and arms smuggling boats on the island, which drop the protect civilian objects. He stated that the boats were a legitimate objective in accordance with the rules of international humanitarian law.

Market bombing incident in Beit al-Faqih district

Mansour said that the allegation of the coalition bombing of a vegetable market in the district of Beit El Faqih in Hodeidah is unfounded, stressing that the shelling targeted Houthi elements and was 12 kilometres from the place, and that the market was not subjected to aerial bombardment.

Mosque shelling in Sana'a governorate

With regard to the allegation that the coalition bombed a mosque in Hadhran village in Sanaa Governorate, the joint team spokesman said that after the assessment and intelligence information, there was a weapons depot in the area and there were no mosques in the vicinity of the shelling.

Shelling of a house in Al-Baydha governorate

The spokesman for the joint incident assessment team in Yemen denied the allegation of shelling a house in al-Baydha province, explaining that "the coalition forces were targeting a military communications system at a distance from the house, which was not subject to any damage caused by the shelling."

Bombing of the oil station in the capital Sana'a

With regard to the response of the Coordinator of the Panel of Experts on Yemen, about an air raid targeted (gas station) in (26/05/2018) in the south-west of Sana'a city, causing the death of (4) persons and wounding (15).

The joint incident assessment team investigated the occurrence of the incident and, having considered all the documents, including the air tasking order, the task implementation procedures, the daily task count schedule, post-mission reports, the satellite images of the targeting site, the video recordings of the performing task, Rules of engagement of the Allied Coalition Forces, principles and provisions of international humanitarian law and its customary rules, after an assessment of the evidence, the joint incident Assessment team found that, on the basis of credible intelligence received by the Allied Coalition Forces, the al-Houthi armed militia had taken over a gas station located on Extension of the main road to Al-Sitteen Street, southwest of Sana'a City, preventing its use by citizens and placing armed crews inside it, and allocating it to support the war effort. With the availability of intelligence checks, the al-Houthi armed militia took over (a gas station), which fell under the legal protection of civilian objects, based on the principles and provisions of international humanitarian law and its customary rules for direct and regular use of presence of vehicles and mechanisms of Al-Houthi armed militia for the purpose of actively contributing to military action and supporting the war effort.

Accordingly, at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday (11 Ramadan 1439), the Allied Coalition Forces carried out an aerial mission on a target of "a gas station" in the south-west of Sana'a City, using one bomb that hit the target, in order to reduce the capacity and capability of the al-Houthi armed militia fuelling their vehicles and mechanisms.

After a study of the video of the Mission carried out and the satellite imagery, the joint team found that the al-Houthi militia had closed the opposite road to the station, as well as being free of any movement of civilian vehicles or civilian personnel, confirming the intelligence information indicated that  al-Houthi armed militia also closed the entrance to the station.

The following precautions are taken by the Allied Coalition Forces: we use one accurate bomb, proportional to the size of the target, and choose the angle of attack with which there is no collateral damage on the corresponding road to avoid accidental loss or damage to civilians and civilian objects or to reduce them anyway to a minimum.

And choosing the appropriate timing for targeting at (6:30) in (11 Ramadan 1439) to coincide with the time of Iftar, in which the presence of civilians near the target, where the commercial activities stop at this time and people go to their homes for breakfast after the fasting of the day.

In view of this, the joint incident Assessment team has reached the validity of the actions taken by the Allied Coalition forces in targeting a (legitimate military) target in accordance with international humanitarian law and its customary rules.


Share


Print Send